Hopp til innhold

Q: I am a Filipino citizen considering a job career in Norway. Where can I find some useful information to help me decide?

Useful links for the Filipino applicants:


Q: I am a Spanish citizen considering a job career in Norway. Where can I find some useful information to help me decide?

Q: I am a EU/EEC citizen. Do I need a VISA/Residence Permit to work in Norway?

A: No, but you have to register with the police. You will find guidance and can register online here. This FAQ mainly deals with applicants originating from countries outside the EU/EEC.

Q: What are the general requirements for a non-EU/EEC citizen to live and work in Norway?

A: All foreigners need a valid passport, and a Residence Permit, a VISA, to stay in Norway. You can read more about permits here.

You can read more about living and working in Norway here.


Q: What are types of VISA I can apply for?

A: The most common Residence Permits or VISAs are

  1. Permit as a Skilled Worker
  2. Study Permit (Student VISA)
  3. AU-pair VISA
  4. Entry VISA
  5. Tourist VISA
  6. Family Unification VISA


Q: Where and how will I apply for a VISA?


  1. If you are in the Philippines you can apply online at http://www.norway.ph/studywork/ the Application Portal Norway.
  2. If you are already in Norway, you can register your application online at udi.no The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration.
  3. If you are in any other country check for Online Application Portal Norway at your country?s embassy. Go to http://www.norway.info/ for more information.

Q: What permit or VISA applies to my case?


  1. Skilled Worker ? your expertise must be relevant to the job you will be doing in Norway. If you have a job offer your employer can apply on your behalf. A permit pursuant to the provisions relating to skilled workers can be granted for periods of up to three years, but not for longer than the duration of the employment relationship. The permit entitles you to travel in and out of Norway during the period for which it is valid and it forms the basis for a permanent residence permit in Norway.
  2. Study Permit ? you can be granted a residence permit to study Norwegian for a total of one year. You will have to document funds for subsistence.
  3. Residence Permit as AU-pair. The purpose of the au pair scheme is cultural exchange. As au pairs, young people can improve their language skills and knowledge of Norway and Norwegian society by living with a Norwegian family. In return, the au pair performs services such as light housework and child care for the host family. Your permit will be for a maximum of two years.
  4. Entry VISA ? you can be granted an entry visa (the D visa) before the processing of the application for a residence or work permit has been completed. This is the case if you intend to stay in Norway on a permanent basis and you fulfil the requirements for a residence/work permit.
  5. Visit VISA ? The purpose of the visit should be tourism, visit friends or family. The visa can be valid for a maximum of 90 days in the course of a period of 180 days. A visit visa does not entitle you to work or carry out any business activities during your visit, and you must leave the country before the permit expires.
  6. Family Immigration - If you have a family member living in Norway, or you want to set up a family with a person living here, you can apply for a family immigration permit to come and live together with him or her.

Q: How much does it cost to apply for a Residence Permit or VISA?

A: (2017 figures)

Q: What is the application process for a nurse and other health workers?

The application process for NURSES AND OTHER HEALTH WORKERS

  1. A Case Handling Fee will have to be paid to the relevant authorisation and licensing body in Norway prior to the processing of your application for authorisation. For 2017 the fee is NOK 1.665 payable when you submit your application in ALTINN (www.altinn.no). Processing your application can take up to 7 months! 
  1. Your Skilled Worker credentials will be the criteria determining whether you should apply as a Health Worker or as a Registered Nurse

We recommend you to do this prior to applying for any residence permit or VISA to Norway, since processing time may be up to 7 months. Your employer or another contact in Norway can assist you in this process or arrange the payment on your behalf. Use our Contact form if you have specific questions.


Make sure that you attach certified copies of your documentation. Helsedirektoratet requires documentation that is submitted to us to be a 'confirmed true copy'. 'Confirmed true copy' means a stamp and signature from the party that is giving the confirmation. A confirmed true copy is based on the person concerned confirming that the copy is identical to the original document. The stamp must state the body that is confirming the copy.

 The following bodies are approved by Helsedirektoratet to confirm copies:

Confirmed copies must fulfil the following requirements:

Helsedirektoratet requires documents to be "confirmed true copies" because this is one of the tools that we use to prevent applicants from using forged documents. Every year, we uncover forged documents that have been used and all such cases are reported to the police. By regulating where the applicant can copy their documents, we can better protect ourselves against this unfortunate practice. 

Q: Can I get work as a trainee in Norway?

A: It will be up to the individual employer if they will offer you a trainee job while you are waiting for your authorisation or license, or attending a language training program before you are accepted as a worker. You need to clarify this before traveling to Norway.

Trainee jobs are first and foremost programs that have been developed for young Norwegians needing special follow-up or other customized solutions. Some are school drop-outs, some have illnesses preventing them from entering the normal job market, and others again are simply not motivated to look for ordinary work. These trainees are not receiving a normal salary but may receive other allowances granted to them as citizens for subsistence and accommodation.

 Q: Can I enrol in a Norwegian language course in Norway?

A: Yes, many "kommuner" (towns and cities) offer language training.  However, some areas have up to 3 months waiting list for admission. As a job seeker you will have to pay a fee of NOK 5.000 - 10.000 per semester. The fees vary. Also please note that these courses may vary in intensity, as they are open for mandatory language training for fugitives arriving to settle in Norway. A class hour is 45 minutes, and typically you will attend 4 class hours per day, 3-4 days per week daytime or 4 hours per evening, 2 evenings per week. You will have to provide for your own subsistence costs while attending these courses. Some students manage to pass the required tests in 6-8 months, others may need a year.

Q: How much is a ticket to travel from the Philippines to Norway?

A: Ticket prices are seasonal and not all airline offer one-way tickets. That said, you will have to secure an Entry VISA in order to be allowed to travel to Norway without a return ticket. In some cases a return ticket can be just as cheap. Expect the ticket to cost in the region of 40,000 pesos. Some airlines and travel agents offer cheaper tickets if your travel dates are flexible. Avoid international holidays like Summer Vacation (July-August), Christmas and Easter period.

Q: What are the costs of living in Norway?

It depends on your requirements of course. Norway is one of the most expensive countries in the world to live in. Lodgings may start at NOK 4.000 per month, subsistence cost the same, heating and electricity NOK 1.000 per month or more and public transport another 1.000 per month. Some job seekers manage to share some of these expenses. Rental accommodation is scarce, however, because students and foreign workers are in the same market for housing.

Q: I don't have the funds required to do this. Can I get some kind of financing assistance in Norway?

A: Some skills are so sought-after that an employer is willing to pay for the job-seeker's expenses for relocation. Due to the risks involved, however, few employers are willing to advance large sums of money to get a particular candidate to fill a position, especially not before having met and learned to know the candidate first.

The Norwegian banks are also reluctant to give loans to new arrivals, unless there can be an agreement with the employer to guarantee for the loan or withhold part of the salaries to pay back the loan. In such instances the candidate will have to sign up for a certain work period, to ensure that the money is paid back. It is fair that the employer wants to establish some kind of security that the loan is paid back even if the employee leaves the position to work for someone else.

NTS Skilled Workers & Resources AS can assist applicants in these matters. You should present your case in writing to this email address:


Each case will handled individually, in full confidence naturally.

Share this page with a friend!

Share on Facebook